Industrial lubricants play an important role in ensuring the smooth running of processes and maintenance of machinery. It reduces friction between moving metal components and protects against heat transfer, wear, and tear. However, there are different kinds of lubricants depending on the elements used and the additives they contain. Most of the industrial lubricants available contain organic and organic base oils — and the specific properties are designed to work in specific environments.

Here, we’re going through the different types of lubricants and the consideration when selecting the right lubricant suitable for your application. Also, there are many lubricant manufacturers from whom you can purchase from. For example Castrol industrial lubricants for metalwork, which is the world-leading producer of premium lubricating oils ranging from gear and compressor oils to hydraulic, greases, and motor oils.

Choosing the Right Industrial Lubricants for Your Application
Lubricants are categorized into either general purpose or synthetic. However, the choice of lubricant is based on the specific application, lubrication surface among other determining factors. There are standard properties all lubricants must-have regardless of the kind of lubricant you choose. Some of them include.

  • Reduce friction
  • Corrosion and rust resistance
  • Surface separation
  • Protection against wear and tear
  • Dissipating heat
  • Sealant properties

Regardless of the type, each lubricant must have basic properties and can also contain other beneficial additives, which vary based on the intended application and lubrication formulation.

General purpose lubricants
This type of lubricant is rich in hydrocarbon and a 95% base mineral oil such as crude oil while the remaining 5% comprises various additives. General-purpose lubricants are commonly used in engines and motors to protect the internal components against damage and ensure productivity.

Synthetic lubricants
Also referred to as specialty lubricants, these lubricants are obtained synthetically using synthetic esters or polyalphaolefins (PAOs). They offer excellent characteristics than general-purpose oils and are essentially preferred due to better mechanical and chemical properties. But between the two, synthetic lubrication is relatively expensive. General-purpose oils and Castrol industrial lubricants can be used in place of specialty lubricants if it’s not necessary for the task.

In addition to general-purpose and synthetic oils, there are also semi-synthetic oils, which are made from mineral oils and synthetic lubricants. This type of lubricant has improved properties than general-purpose lubricants but relatively cheaper than pure synthetic lubricants.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *