Do you need to buy a new car? Maybe you are looking for previously used cars. If you are looking to buy a new or used car, you are not alone. When it comes to buying used cars, there were 9.81 such sales during the first quarter of 2015, according to Edmunds.com. That number represents an increase of 3.35% since the same time in 2010. Going to a new or previously used car dealership can be stressful but it can be exciting, too. These tips should make buying a car less stressful and more fun.
- Set your budget. Before you make any big purchase, from going to the previously used car dealership to buying a house, you need to start with your finances. First, you should look at your assets, what money you have coming in and what money you have going out every month. You should not spend more than one quarter of your monthly income on car payments. Remember, the car payment itself is only part of the car ownership story. When you buy the car, you have to pay to register it and get insurance for it. When you own and operate a car, you need to keep the insurance up to date, pay for maintenance and gas. You need to factor all of those costs into you budgeting plan. Set a number and do not go above it. This is one of the best ways to avoid spending more than you want to spend.
- Get your financing ready. If you have not done this recently, you should get a new copy of your credit report and credit score. You do not want to be surprised when you approach a bank or other financial institution about lending you money to buy a car. You should talk to your bank or credit union and see if they will give you a car loan. Yes, most previously used car car dealerships may be able to offer competitive financing options, they will be better options if you can get your financing elsewhere. If you have a mortgage, start with them. If they say no, check with credit unions. You need to remember, they can’t say yes if you don’t ask.
- Decide what you want. What are you going to use your car for? Do you have a large family? Are you going to be driving a lot? Do you need it to haul lots of cargo? You need to have a good idea of what you want and what you will need from the affordable used trucks or cars before you start thinking about which makes and models are going to work for you and your lifestyle. Make a list of the features you must have and the features you would like to have but could live without.
- Do some research. Look into affordable used cars online. You can get a lot of information about the cars and trucks that are out there. Generally, if you are looking at getting used cars or trucks, you will be able to get more features than if you go with a new car or truck. Look at the performance f various cars and trucks and the features that come standard. Before you head out to the previously used car dealership, you need to have a few vehicles in mind.
- Go to the previously used car dealership. Contrary to what you may think, the used car salesperson is not out to make a sale at any cost. Give them your budget and the vehicles that interest you and why. Take a test drive of a few of the vehicles on the lot. Ask all of your questions. Be open to a vehicle that feels better to drive than it may have looked online or on paper. This is one of the best things about taking a test drive .You can decide if the vehicle you thought you wanted is what you need. Be prepared to leave without a vehicle. If you do not see what you want or get the right price, just walk away.
Buying a car or truck can be stressful but it doesn’t have to be. These tips will help.